In establishing his business in Bushey Heath, Hoather adapted and equipped some old farm buildings as daylight studios and a darkroom. Most of his photographs were taken on 'whole glass plates' (8 1/2" x 6 1/2"), but a larger camera for 12" x 10" glass plate negatives was used for many groups and larger subjects. Both these cameras were made by Watsons of Barnet. A half plate (6 1/2" x 4 3/4") reflex camera was used for childrens' portraits. The cameras were heavy and, from about 1908 onwards, Hoather used a 3 wheeled Riley car to transport them. In the early days he had no electric supply and portraits were printed by daylight on 'Platinotype' paper. Other subjects were printed on Kodak 'Gaslight ' paper which did not need such a long exposure and were printed by the light of a gas burner in a separate compartment in the dark room.