The parish of St Peter's, Bushey Heath was formed out of the larger parish of St James, Bushey in 1889. It is a residential suburban parish of about 10,000 people, situated some 3 miles south of Watford and 16 miles north of London . It lies well within the commuter belt for central London and people are involved in a wide variety of mainly professional occupations. Good relationships have been forged with the large Jewish community and there is a flourishing Orthodox Synagogue directly opposite the Parish Church and a Jewish private school nearby.
There are three state primary schools and a private mixed preparatory school within the parish. There are no state secondary schools, but a large number of excellent state and private secondary schools are conveniently situated in Bushey and Watford. St Margaret's, a large private school for girls, established by the Clergy Orphan Corporation and moved from St Johns Wood in 1897, lies just outside the parish boundary, but some of the girls attend the parish church on occasion.
The Parish includes a BUPA Hospital, where the parish priest is called in by invitation and three nursing homes - Windmill House, Birchville Court and Kestrel Grove, each of which is visited on a regular basis by the parish priest for celebration of the Holy Communion. In addition, the parish has the Heath House residential home, sheltered accommodation for young people with severe learning difficulties and Church Army flats, including a chapel, for retired workers.
Housing within the parish is made up of a high proportion of middle to high class residential properties, some council and housing association properties and a large estate of Ministry of Defence properties accommodating a variety of service personnel. St Peter's is situated adjacent to a small, but thriving shopping centre and there are a number of pubs, restaurants and medical facilities nearby.
Bushey Heath is represented at local government level by three Borough councillors and at Parliamentary level by James Clappison, the Member of Parliament for the constituency of Hertsmere.